February 18, 2019

Life After The Release of My Book "Unraveling My Father's Suicide"

Available on Amazon

My book was released in May 2015. At the end of 2015, one of my first cousins took his life. I was shocked, as many would be. For me, however, there were additional challenges involved.

1) This was the cousin that encouraged me to finish my book because "People need to know about this." He struggled with suicidal ideation for years. Six months after I began publishing, he took his life. My jaw remained open. It was frightening. I was speechless (for a bit). And I was really really sad.
2) This cousin's suicide was not the first suicide in our family's generation. It was the fourth. My father, my cousin's brother, our second cousin, and then him. I also attempted suicide once several years ago.
3) I had an unconscious belief that since I wrote my book and "captured" the suicides in my family, that that put an end to it all. No more suicide. I had to come to grips that that was not true and may not be in the future.


Each year, I participate in See A New Sun Foundation's walk for suicide awareness, education, etc. (Littleton, MA). Each walker is given a t-shirt with a place on the back side to write in the name of the person(s) in their life who died by suicide. Most people have one, maybe two, names listed. I not only have the four mentioned above, I have the son of a friend of mine and the father of another friend of mine. Most of the walkers are stunned when they look at my t-shirt.

I hope you rest in peace, Dad, cousins. +

My book is available on Amazon HERE
It is also available at many public libraries in Massachusetts.


*2/18/19 Edit - I still believe suicide is preventable. If you are in crisis, call your counselor, or go to your nearest Emergency Room, or call the National Suicide Lifeline 1-800-273-8255.


No comments: