September 18, 2010

Mass On TV

.
I was taking a break from cleaning the other day and I turned on the television.  Daily Mass was on the screen, live.  I was thrilled because I recently stepped down to Basic Cable and I thought I did not have access to Catholic-TV  It was a nice surprise, especially since I missed Daily Mass at my parish earlier in the day, and I now had a good reason to sit a little longer and put my cleaning aside.

As I mentioned, the Mass was on Catholic-TV, and when I researched the web site, I found that video replays are available on-line.  Another backup.  It is not the same as being in church, but it is still uplifting.  It is on the more traditional side, which I prefer.  The vestments, flowers and music bring one closer to Jesus.  They are done just right. 

And, of course, hearing the Word of God is always nourishing, hearing the words of consecration is always breath taking, and hearing a good homily is always energizing.  I never tire of watching the Preparation of the Gifts and the Consecration, even if it is on TV.  Having access to this at home is wonderful.

Another nice touch is the Spiritual Communion Prayer scrolled across the screen while those physically present with the priest receive Communion.

I think of my elderly aunt.  She is a Third Order Franciscan who was a Daily Communicant for years, when at some point, her church closed.  She used to walk to it and now the walk is too long for her to get to the closest Mass at the remaining church.  When she can't get a ride, she watches Mass on TV instead.  I feel like God is watching over her, over all of us.

Lastly, Pope John Paul II was an advocate of new technology to spread the Word of God:  "Do not be afraid of new technologies! These rank 'among the marvelous things' – inter mirifica – which God has placed at our disposal to discover, to use and to make known the truth, also the truth about our dignity and about our destiny as his children, heirs of his eternal Kingdom."


Do not be afraid of new technologies!!  What a surprise statement that was in his Apostolic Letter.


Peace to you and your loved ones,
Kathleen




.
image - http://www.saintgeo.com/April%202009%20E-Newsletter.htm
.

No comments: