I went shopping yesterday and saw a sign that said "Spring Clearance." I thought of my soul. I could go for a good spring cleaning. Here are some things I would like to get rid of.
- The negative talking I do about people when they are not present
- The feet I drag sometimes before I get around to doing the Rosary
- All those times I don't get around to doing the Rosary
- The silences I carry instead of telling others I love them
- Petty jealousies
- Self-pity - This is so unproductive, isn't it?
- Texting or cell phoning while driving - Do I think I am immune to injury and death?
- My avoidance of reading the Bible, again
- Missing too many Daily Masses
- Watching useless TV
- Talking when it would be best for me to listen to others
- White lies - Oh, those white lies
- Not doing more concrete things to act on my ProLife beliefs
- Not speaking up about priests who grossly ad lib the words of the Liturgy, e.g. "Happy are all of us who are gathered here to take part in this meal." - What?! The laity doesn't even know how to respond to that and the priest has been saying it for more than two years.
- People who call themselves ProChoice yet do not tolerate my choice of ProLife
- Media bashing of the Catholic Church
- People who call themselves Catholic yet do not believe in the Real Presence
- People who call themselves Catholic yet consciously fornicate and/or contracept
- People, especially those who have children in religious education classes, who call themselves Catholic yet do not go to Mass or Confession
- Clergy and everyone else guilty of sex abuse
May God take all these items to His purgative fires of love and extinguish them.
Jesus, I love You. Help me to follow You more closely.
image - http://www.ic.nc.gov/ncic/pages/spring-cleaning.jpg