June 18, 2016

8 Things Every Catholic Should Be Doing Every Day - #4, Tell someone you love them and why


4. Tell someone you love them and why

When I was growing up, my parents were in emotional survival mode. I don't recall one time when either of them told me or any of my five siblings that they loved us. Nor do I remember a time when they shared such sentiments with each other.

On the other hand, my five brothers and sisters and I started telling and showing our children, "I love you," very early on in their lives. We still do it 27+ years later. Our children are happier and relatively more self-assured. I would not attribute that solely to our expressing our love for them, but I believe that was/is a significant part of it. Once you start saying it (and showing it through acts of kindness and love), it fosters a more loving environment than the one created without it. No science; no psychology; no religion. Pretty much speculation, but it's speculation based on a mother's heart, and sometimes that is more reliable than any of the rest.

Every day. Tell someone every day that you love them and why. The why could be because the child is a gift from God and how can any of us not love a gift from God?



image -http://in2.ccio.co/k3/IE/NF/4105dece39d7f1a69d5235da51dd70e4.jpg

No comments: