March 11, 2012

I Choose To Be Optimistic About Marriage

Today, a gentleman I know told me he and his wife will soon be celebrating their 40th wedding anniversary.  I congratulated him and I said, "You know, not a lot of people can say that these days."  That's the unfortunate truth.

I looked at him, and from my heart I said, "Good for you."  I truly cherish long-term anniversary announcements, maybe because my marriage only made it to eleven years, maybe because a lot of couples aren't even making it that far, and maybe because I have come to treasure marriage after I learned so much about it during my divorce and then during my annulment and then during the ongoing forgiveness and reconciliation that occurred between my ex-husband and me as we reared our children from separate households and simply grew softer with time.

I pray that  that men and women will eventually wake up to the mayhem which they have caused counter to the holy institution and Sacrament of marriage these years, and I pray that we will return to a society in which marriage is the bedrock.  If we can't do that, then I hope we come to a society in which those of us who believe marriage is the cornerstone of our existence, are allowed to freely embrace that lifestyle.

I not only pray for these things, I pray for these things with the hope of the Risen Christ.

Congratulations Jack!!


image - http://www.natcom.org/CommCurrentsIssue.aspx?volume=6&issue=1

No comments: