September 01, 2011

Fighting The Good Fight

This is one of those times I am really grateful for the Catholic Faith I have.  I am in a nice rhythm with my routine.   I am religiously (no pun intended) doing my Rosary every day, as well as other prayers.  I am going to Adoration in the area.  I am relaxed with my home/work balance.  And my Catholic friends keep me fresh in my practice by being great role models.
It is not always this way.  There are times when my Faith feels like a burden, when life is too much to bear.  It weighs heavy in my body.  I don't do my Rosary every day.  I skip Adoration.  I even skip Sunday Mass at times.  :-(   And lastly, my friends seem like saints with whom I can never compare.  At least that is what my brain starts saying.

I know the dark phase can be put to good use.  I know I can draw more closely to Jesus then.  But, I have to say, I enjoy the lighter phase much more and I am happy to be there right now.  As you can tell, I have a long way to go before I am a Saint who truly knows the joy of suffering.  :-)

Here are some of the prayers I pray.  The picture shows praying hands, but very often, I am walking, or baking, or straightening up the kitchen counter and saying these to God as I go.

Personal One-Line Prayers
Jesus, help me with my devotion to Mary.
Lord Jesus, help me.
Lord Jesus, what do You want of me today?
Lord Jesus, I am a sinner. Have mercy on me.
O Mary, Queen of Peace, bring peace to all of us who reside in this upside down world.
Joseph, please watch over my sons, in particular, my older one for whom you are his patron Saint.
O Mary, conceived without sin, please pray for us who have recourse to thee.

Personal Version of St. Ignatius' Suscipe
.
Lord, Jesus Christ, please take all my freedom, my memory, my understanding and my will.  All that I have and cherish, You have given me. 
I surrender it all, to be guided by Your will.
Give me Your love and Your grace, and I ask for nothing more.  Amen. 
 .
The Memorare [I think this prayer played a part in my recent heightened interest in Mary.  It's in blue for Our Lady  :-)  ]
.


Remember, O most gracious Virgin Mary, that never was it known
that anyone who fled to thy protection, implored thy help, or sought thine intercession, was left unaided.
Inspired by this confidence, I fly unto thee, O Virgin of virgins, my mother;
to thee do I come, before thee I stand, sinful and sorrowful.
O Mother of the Word Incarnate, despise not my petitions,
but in thy mercy hear and answer me. Amen.

Anima Christi
Soul of Christ, sanctify me.
Body of Christ, save me.
Blood of Christ, inebriate me.
Water from the side of Christ, wash me.
Passion of Christ, strengthen me.
O Good Jesus, hear me.
Within Your wounds hide me.
Separated from You, let me never be.

From the wicked one, protect me.
At the hour of my death, call me,
and bid me close to You, that with the Saints
where I can live and reign with You forever and ever.  Amen.
images - http://www.monkrock.com/index.cfm?load=page&page=36
http://www.popchurch.net/category/prayer/
http://acatholichomejournal.blogspot.com/2011/01/solemnity-of-mary-mother-of-god.html

No comments: