October 24, 2010

Staying Sane in New York City

.
I am back from several days in New York City.  I enjoy the city, but it can be hectic and hedonistic. (Have you seen the Naked Cowboy in Times Square?)  For some solace, I tried to make my way to one of the Catholic churches every day, and visit Jesus.  Even if I only managed one half of an hour, my day was so much better.  Besides, it deepened my love for the universality of Catholicism.  Our Faith can be expressed in so many ways, and visiting churches in other towns/states/countries brings that truth home.

This time, I was near St. Patrick's Cathedral on 5th Avenue.  It is the seat of the archbishop of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of New York, and as you can tell from the outside, its architecture is Gothic.  I was blessed to find the Body, Blood, Soul, and Divinity of Jesus Christ in the chapel way out back (or is it front?).  They have all-day Adoration there.  What a reprieve from the secular world around.

My son asked if there were a lot of people in the chapel.  I told him, given that I was in New York City, that Adoration chapel should have been packed.  Unfortunately, it wasn't, but at least it was fairly full during Rosary and Benediction.


There are some wonderful side chapels devoted to many different saints, including St. John the Baptist, St. Rose of Lima, St. Anthony of Padua, Our Lady of Perpetual Help, St. Don Bosco, St. Teresa of Avila, St. Therese.  This one is of Our Lady of Czestochowa.



The Stations of the Cross are evocative.



Jesus falls (a third time, I think)






                                                   



                                         The Holy Face of Jesus


 


  




Our Lady of Guadalupe - Patroness of the Unborn




        Many Opportunities for Candle Offerings





.
images - all mine  :-)
.

No comments: