September 26, 2010

Miscellaneous Eastern Reflections And Prayers

.
I recently purchase the Publicans Prayer BookIt is a wonderful source of prayers and reflections from the Eastern Catholic Church.  You can use it to sanctify your daily life by following the call of Jesus to "pray at all times" (Lk 21:34). You can also access it in times of joy, grief, sorrow, and gratitude.  Here are a very small sampling.

Saint John Chrysostom
There is nothing more worthwhile to pray to God and to converse with Him, for prayer unites us with God as His companions.  As our bodily eyes are illuminated by seeing light, so in comtemplating God our soul is illuminated by Him.

From Early Christian Monks in Egypt
Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, [a sinner]!  [Known as The Jesus Prayer]

Saint Theophan the Recluse
The practice of the Jesus prayer is simple.  Stand before the Lord with the attention in the heart, and call to Him:  'Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me!'  The essential part of this is not in the words, but in faith contrition and self-surrender to the Lord.  With these feelings one can stand before the Lord even without any words, and it will still be prayer.

Saint John Climacus
Flag the foes with the Name of Jesus; for there is no stronger weapon against them either in Heaven or on earth..

Sixth Ode
From the depths of my sins, I call out to the unfathomable depths of your compassion:  'O my God, bring me up from the pit.'

A spotless heart create in me, O God; renew a steadfast Spirit in my breast.
O Savior, sanctify my mind, my soul, my heart and my body; and make me worthy Master, to approach your awesome Mysteries without condemnation.

Cast me not afar from Your face; take not Your blessed Spirit out of me.
 
Prayer to the Venerable Cross
Kiss the Cross and say:
Guard me, O Lord, by the power of Your holy and life-giving Cross, and keep me from all evil. 



image - http://agabus.com/tag/the-way-of-the-prayer/

.

No comments: