May 16, 2010

Bless Me Father, For I Have Sinned

.
I went to Divine Liturgy, the Eastern Catholic Sunday celebration, and I realized at coffee hour that Confession is one of the most needed Sacraments. 

Here we are at coffee hour below the sanctuary of the church on the holiest day of the week, and several of us have fallen short of Jesus' command to love thy neighbor as thyself.  Nothing major.  Abrasive edge of one's tone of voice.  Abrupt reply.  Stepping in front of someone to get food.  Mild politicking.  Yes, politicking, even in church, and that is why Confession is needed so much.  We Christians fall short of the very things we teach, even on Sundays.

Thank God Jesus knew our human nature and instituted Confession before He left this earth.  "Receive the holy Spirit. Whose sins you forgive are forgiven them, and whose sins you retain are retained."  (John 20:22-23)  It is the only way I know that we can cleanse ourselves and regenerate our spirits and try again with one another.  I often can feel it in my bones, so to speak, when I need to go to Confession.  I really wish the Church would suggest that everyone go at least once a month.

"I am weak; heal me, LORD, for my bones are trembling."  - Psalm 6:3


.
image - http://www.connorcourt.com/catalog1/images/CONFESS.JPG

.

No comments: