April 23, 2010

It's Not Just A Zygote

.
Some time ago, a conversation between my non-believing, teenage son and I evolved into the topic of abortion.  Our views are quite different, so we both stiffened a bit as we ventured forth.
.
I was relieved to know that my son agreed with my views on partial-birth abortion.  It is horrific and should not be performed under any circumstances.  Then we moved onto early-term abortion, and  things were different.  

.
My son sneered at me and said, "What? You don't still believe that, do you? I mean, Mom, it's just a zygote. That early on in the pregnancy, it doesn't matter."
.
"Just a zygote?" I retorted. "That zygote is the only thing the baby evolves from, isn't it?"
.
"Yea..." he said, unprepared for my next reply.
.
"So you mean," I intoned a question, "that if I decided to get rid of that zygote that you came from, you wouldn't have cared? It wouldn't have mattered? I could have just made that decision to throw that zygote away, and you wouldn't be here with us today?"
.
"No, Mom, that's different!" His response startled me. He was always so scientific, but this response was emotional. I was actually relieved, and I took advantage of the situation.
.
"That's different?!" I asked. "How is that different? It's the same scientific scenario that you presented, except that it's you instead of a yet-to-be-born or yet-to-be-named baby."
.
My son was speechless. I was thrilled. I made some inroads on his flippant views about abortion. With the help of the Holy Spirit, a seed had been planted. He got the zygote-equals-realperson connection.  That is all I could accomplish for that day, but what an accomplishment it was.
.
St. Monica, Mary, and St. Augustine, please intercede for him.

.
image - http://www.healthofchildren.com/images/gech_0001_0003_0_img0218.jpg
This is a revision of an entry from my first blog.
.

No comments: