September 08, 2011

Catholic Prayers From The East

I bought a wonderful Eastern prayer book published by Sophia Press.  It is called the Publicans Prayer Book.  When I read it, I yearn for the Divine.  Here are some samples.
Morning Prayer
O Heavenly King, Consoler, Spirit of Truth, present in all places and filling all things, the Treasury of Blessings and the Giver of Life, come and dwell in us, cleanse us of all stain and save our souls, O Good One!

Fifth Ode - Excerpt
You are the source of all light and Creator of the ages, O Lord:  direct us in the light of Your commandments, for we know no other God but You.

From The Great Fast, First Ode
It is time for repentance; I come to You, my Creator.  Remove my heavy yoke of sin, and in Your compassion, grant me the forgiveness of my sins.
Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me!
Like the Prodigal, O Savior, I have squandered the wealth of my soul on dissolute living, and I am barren of the fruits of virtue.  In my hunger, I cry out:  O compassionate Father, come out to meet me and take pity on me!


From The Paschal Hour
Christ is risen from the dead, and by His death, He has trampled upon Death, and has given life to those who were in the tombs! (This sounds wonderful when chanted in church.)

From Anavathmi, p. 475
Many a pain have I sustained since my youth. Be my assistance, O my Savior, and save me.

O you, the enemies of Sion, flee in your shame before the Lord, for you shall wither like grass before the fire...


Prayer to Your Guardian Angel
O Holy Angel, interceding for my wretched soul and passionate life, forsake me not, a sinner, nor shrink from me for my intemperance. Give no place for the subtle demon to master me through the violence of my mortal body. Strengthen my poor and feeble hand, and guide me in the way of salvation. O holy Angel of God, guardian and protector of my wretched body and soul, forgive me for all the insults I have given You every day of my life, and for whatever sins I may have committed during the past night. Protect me during the present day, and guard me from every temptation of the Enemy, that I may not anger God by any sin. And pray to the Lord for me that he may strengthen me in His fear, and make me, His slave, worthy of His goodness. Amen.



Prayer to the Most Holy Theotokos
(Mother of God, i.e. Mary)
O most Holy Lady, Mother of God, light of my poor soul, my hope, my protection, my refuge, my comfort and my joy:  I thank You for having enabled me to be a partaker of the most Pure Body and the most Precious Blood of Your Son.  Enlighten the eyes of my heart, You who carried the Source of Immortality.  O most tender and loving Mother of the merciful God, have mercy on me, and grant me a repentant and contrite heart with humility of mind...make me worthy always, even to my last breath, to receive the most Pure Mysteries of Christ for the healing of my soul and body.  Give me tears of repentance and thanksgiving, that I may  chant and praise You all the days of my life, You who are ever blessed and glorified.  Amen.


images - http://mi9.com/wallpaper/free-good-morning-rising-sun-wallpaper_84537/
http://www.stltoday.com/lifestyles/faith-and-values/civil-religion/sharon-autenrieth/image_af5a113e-7036-11e0-9e6f-0019bb30f31a.html
http://www.examiner.com/eastern-orthodoxy-in-san-francisco/eastern-orthodoxy-101-theotokos

No comments: