July 02, 2010

Wandering In The Desert

.
I am walking in the desert, not knowing what God wants of me right now.  Or maybe it's that I know and I don't like it.  After all, who likes hanging out in the desert, parched, feeling like "Be still and know that I am God" is the hardest thing in the world to live out?

I am grateful to God, though, that I tuck away papers with prayers on them everywhere in my house, often forgetting them and finding them in times like this.  I just found the one below as I was doing some much needed cleaning in my office.  It was on my bulletin board in a hanger I made with popsicle sticks about fifteen years ago.  It's fitting for today.

"I have no idea where I am going.  I do not see the road ahead of me.  I cannot know for certain where it will end.  Nor do I really know myself, and the fact that I think that I am following your will does not mean that I am actually doing so.  But I believe that the desire to please You does, in fact, please You.  And I hope I have that desire in all that I am doing.  I hope that I will never do anything apart from that desire.  And I know that if I do this You will lead me by the right road though I may know nothing about it.  Therefore will I trust You always though I may seem to be lost and in the shadow of death.  I will not fear, for You are ever with me, and You will never leave me to face my perils alone."

                                                                                                      - Thomas Merton

.
image - http://www.innventia.com/upload/Edge/Product%20images/desert_web2.jpg

.

1 comment:

Vikraman Kesavan said...

Kathleen god bless you, this article just helped me out of my depressed and longing soul