May 05, 2010

National Day of Prayer

.
.
I pray.  I could pray a lot more.  I pray that I pray more.  It works to some extent.

I have so many favorite prayers, e.g. the Hail Mary; the Serenity Prayer; the 3rd and 7th Step prayers of 12-step programs; the Anima Mea; Bless (Individual's Name) prayer and I go through each person I know, envisioning them as I ask God to bless them; the St. Ignatius of Loyola prayer; the Memorare; the Act of Contrition, the "God please help me to xxx" prayer.  There are so many.

.
Wondering how to begin?  Start with one simple prayer and do it every day.  Get down on your knees, clasp your hands, and talk out loud if you want.  Silence is okay too.  Just do it.  Your life will be transformed.  Not right away, but over time.  You will naturally be drawn to adding more prayers and to adding different kinds of prayers.  Technically, they fall into the categories of prayers of petition, prayers of thanksgiving, prayers of adoration and prayers of praise, but the Holy Spirit will bring them to you.  "Dear God, please...", "Jesus thank you so much...", "God, I am grateful for...", "Dear God, You are so awesome...", and "Mary, please intercede for..." and "Jesus, I beg you..."

Just remember, today is focused on one particular mission, but it can be used as a springboard into a regular daily routine as mentioned above.
.
.
.
top image - http://codybateman.org/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/ManPraying8x6.jpg
bottom image - http://www.gracewaddy.org/graphics/photos/group_prayer.jpg
.

No comments: