May 13, 2010

My Response To NARAL's "BLOG for choice"

.
The blog entry of focus is one celebrating the 50th anniversary of The Pill.  One woman is thrilled that "With the Pill I know I can keep earning money and not worry about an accident that would ruin everything," while another woman celebrates with this comment, "The fashion for large families went the way of the girdle."

It is as if children and large families are Taboo, are the cooties, are something to avoid like mines in a mine field.  That saddens me.  Here is my reply.

"I was saddened by the same comment as Patrick, 'With the Pill I know I can keep earning money and not worry about an accident that would ruin everything.'  I was also saddened by 'The fashion for large families went the way of the girdle.'.

These comments brought me back to the way I used to think when I lived a fear-based and faithless existence. It was a time when I thought children and large families were like cooties and should be avoided like running around mines in a mine field.

These comments also reflect the reality that many ProChoicers are not truly ProChoice. If one is truly ProChoice, then they would support me and my choice to have a large family [if I was blessed with one] and would not make cutting remarks about my choice. My choice would be celebrated along with theirs."

One big mistake people make with the Pill is thinking it is a panacea for all sex-related issues in or out of a marriage, but this is completely wrong.  The Pill simply masks the issues that will eventually arise and have to be addressed, before or during of a marriage, hopefully not after a divorce.
.
image - http://www.markmallett.com/blog/wp-images/BirthControl.jpg
.

No comments: