April 25, 2010

Are You Keeping The Lord's Day Holy?

.
.
.
.
"Remember to keep holy the Lord's Day."  It is the third Commandment.
With many women in the workplace, stores and businesses open on Sundays, and families dispersed all over the country, this Commandment can be difficult to follow.  It can be done, though.  Here are some ways.
.
.
.
.
1) Attend Mass and maybe even Benediction.
2) No work, even overtime.
3) Refrain from shopping (emergency only).
4) Refrain from unnecessary chores.
5) Read the Bible and/or do Daily Office.
6) Pray the Rosary.
7) Take a leisurely walk.
8) Gather with family and/or friends.
9) Pray.

I do some of these, but with the exception of attending Mass and praying, I do not do them regularly.  I have gotten better at leaving the dishes until Monday, but I do not have young children around and I do not usually host a gathering.  Some Sundays are better than others when it comes to refraining from shopping.  I really have to plan better, i.e. buy certain things a day or two beforehand so that I am not tempted, or if I do need something, go in and shop for and buy that, but not anything else.  As for working on Sundays, that has never been an issue for me, but I do know people who have requested Sundays off when applying for a new job, or who have declined from working overtime on Sundays.  Sacrifice.  It is all about sacrifice and about offering that sacrifice up in union with Jesus on the Cross for the conversion and salvation of all souls.

On a tangent, if you would like a chart of the Scriptural origin of each of the Commandments, go here.  http://www.vatican.va/archive/ccc_css/archive/catechism/command.htm

Peace in Christ,
Kathleen
.
image - http://newmillenia.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/christ_in_glory_icon_poster-p228274422439310090tdcp_400.jpg
.

No comments: